April’s Family Foodies event: Healthy Snacks
April 2, 2014
For some reason it took me a while to ponder on a theme for April’s Family Foodies. I very nearly went with Easter Makes and Bakes but then figured most of the entries would be chocolate based and let’s face it there’s enough chocolate floating around at this time of the year. I finally decided to go for something closer to the ethos of Eat Your Veg and chose Healthier Snacks. With the Action on Sugar campaign taking force and this week’s headline news of upping ourselves to 7-a-day the theme seemed most appropriate. Rather than fat laden and sugary empty calories that come with most crisps, chocolate bars or biscuits what can we be giving our precious little (and big) ones to snack on?
As regular readers well know healthier snacks are something I’ve been experimenting with quite a bit lately. My recent recipes include Apple & Cinnamon or Parsnip Crisps, Bread Tarts, Fruit, Nut & Seeds Bars, Baked Spring Rolls, Better for You Cookies and Banana Loaf Cake. I’m very excited to see what you all come up with too, I’m really looking forward to being inspired by you clever lot! And shall of course be continuing with my own mission to develop more healthy snacks.
Just to clarify Healthier Snacks includes anything you’d give as a snack, be it a mid-morning pick me up, a lunch box extra or an after school or after dinner snack. From healthier sandwich fillings to something on toast, a dip or spread, a healthier homemade cake, muffin or biscuit or savoury bake or make. Even something as simple as a fruit salad, fruity kebab or even a smoothie.
And we have a wonderful prize for the winning entry this month too. Grace from Eats Amazing is kindly donating a personal selection of goodies from her Eats Amazing Shop. And if you haven’t come across her site before then I urge you to go check it out. It’s hardly surprising Grace has made it to The Mads finals with such inspiring, fun and tasty not to mention healthy lunch ideas and recipes. I defy any child not to be delighted by her themed lunchboxes with cute cut out sandwiches and decorative picks.
So go for it lovely peeps, go get snacktastically healthy! Entry is by the InLinz link up below, just follow the instructions. The closing date for entires is 29th April 2014.
Here’s a few guidelines for the Challenge:
● You may submit any recipe that fits the current theme, past or current, up to a maximum of three entries per month. You’re also welcome to submit the post to other challenges too. If the recipe is not your own please give the appropriate credit.
● Post your recipe url to the Linky at the bottom of each month’s challenge, including your email address and the title of the recipe.
● You may enter from anywhere in the blogosphere of the World, any prizes will be happily posted out unless otherwise stated.
● At the end of the month a guest judge will choose a winning recipe and any prizes sent out. The winner will be announced in a monthly round-up of all the entries. Winners will get to display a Family Foodie Winner annotated badge on their blog if they wish and their recipe will go through to the Family Foodies Hall of Fame on each of our sites.
● All entries will be added to the Family Foodies Pinterest Group Board