Baked Veggie Crisps
Prep Time:10 mins, Cook Time: 15 mins, Total Time: 25 mins
February 25, 2016
A little curious on this matter I checked out a packet from a local well known producer, and indeed whilst the levels of fibre were reasonable (about 5g per serving) they actually contained more fat and salt than comparison potato crisps from the same company, yikes! As for the nutritional value of the fried veggies I couldn’t find any info, but I’m guessing they must have some.
My oven baked crisps have only the merest coating of olive oil (or even better rapeseed oil if you have it) and a weeny pinch of salt (and pepper) so are naturally much better for you. Almost the same crunch as the fried variety and still very tasty and satisfying, my kids devoured them in about two minutes flat which says it all really. Jacques even said he preferred them to the packet ones, good lad. And Frannie actually ate beetroot, result. It probably helped that I used uber-flavoursome veggies to start with, supplied by Growing Local of course. Whom I now work for and next week will be starting to run educational workshops with. Exciting times!.
Beetroot, Parsnips, Carrots,
Toddlers, Little Kids, Big Kids AKA Grown Ups, Autumn, Winter, Healthier Snacking, Making with Kids, After School Munching, Nibbles with Drinks
Great also with Sweet Potato
3 x Baking Trays
Baked Veggie Crisps
Ingredients Prep Time:10 mins, Cook Time: 15 mins, Total Time: 25 mins
1 large carrot
3 teaspoons rapeseed or olive oil
salt & pepper
1) Preheat your oven to 160ºc / 140ºc fan / gas mark 6.
2) Scrub your veggies very clean with a veggie brush (but do not peel).
3) Using a swivel blade peeler peel off long strips of the parsnip and place in a bowl. Repeat with the carrot and beetroot placing in separate bowls. GET A GROWN UP TO DO YOUR PEELING!
4) Pour a teaspoon of oil into each bowl along with a tiny pinch of salt and pepper. Using your (clean) hands rub the oil, salt and pepper into the strips making sure they are evenly coated.
5) Lay each of the veggies in a single layer on separate baking sheets and place in the oven.
5) Bake for 10 to 20 minutes until a little golden and feeling crispy. Different thicknesses will take varying times to cook so remove baked crisps as you go along (using tongs or a spatula). Keep a close eye on the oven as they are quick to burn.
6) Allow to cool and crisp up for a few minutes. Eat and enjoy!.