Prep Time:10 mins (probably less), Cook Time: 15 - 20 mins, Total Time: 25 - 30 mins
March 22, 2014
I had all the kids chopping the veggie fillings too, and they got to fill their own bread ‘cups’ with a choice of at least three ingredients out of sweetcorn kernels, diced courgette, quartered cherry tomatoes, diced pepper, sliced spring onions and chopped mushrooms. I was very happy to see most of the kids actually choose ALL the fillings! I have to say they’re truly a delight to work with this lovely little lot, absolutely each and every food I’ve ever faced them with has been eagerly and greedily gobbled down with gusto! From avocado and dried mango (not together!) to parsnip crisps, spinach leaves, linseeds and brazil nuts. And this is after they’ve had their lunch! I’m consistently blown away every week.
As well as making with the kids at school I’ve made with my own two too, Jacques loved it, Frannie just loved the eating bit which is about the norm these days!. They were both mightily chuffed to take them in to school the next day in their packed lunches, so I do suggest making a few extra for lunch boxes.
I’m entering my Bread Tarts to a couple of challenges:
1) Family Foodies, jointly hosted by myself and this month by Vanesther at Bangers and Mash. March’s theme is Fab Fast Food, meals you can scratch together in less than 30 minutes. I think these just about qualify, for a lighter dinner anyway!.
Wholemeal Bread, Eggs, Cheese and whatever veggies you choose to fill them with!
Making with Kids, Toddlers, Pre-Schoolers, Big Kids, Breakfasts, Lunches, Picnics, Lunchboxes, After-School Treats, Birthday Parties, Light Teas or Dinners
The veggie ingredients list is only meant as a suggestion, use whatever you have in or are your child’s faves. Try green, red, yellow or orange pepper, a little red, white or spring onion, cherry or ordinary tomatoes, sweetcorn, peas, courgette, raw spinach leaves. You can also use leftover cooked veggies. Try with a little tuna, smoked salmon, ham or cooked bacon for added protein.
A six hole muffin tin
Ingredients Prep Time:10 mins (probably less), Cook Time: 15 - 20 mins, Total Time: 25 - 30 mins
To Make 6 Bread Tarts:
1 dessertspoon olive oil
6 slices medium thickness wholemeal bread
1 tomato, finely diced*
1/3 courgette, finely diced*
1/2 red pepper, finely diced*
2 tablespoons sweetcorn*
2 large eggs, free range
4 tablespoons whole milk
2 tablespoons mature Cheddar, grated
* Do vary your veggies and fillings as per the notes above
1) Preheat your oven to 190ºc / 170ºc fan / Gas Mark 5.
2) Brush the muffin tin with the oil.
3) Flatten each slice of bread a little with a rolling pin, fit into the muffin tin by jiggling and squashing around until you have a wee basket shape.
4) Lightly whisk the eggs and stir in the milk and a pinch of black pepper, set aside.
5) Fill the bread ‘baskets’ with your chosen finely diced veggies and a sprinkling of cheese.
6) Pour over the eggy mix
7) Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes until risen, firm and golden brown on top.
8) Leave to cool a little before eating warm.