Carrot & White Chocolate Cake Pops!
Prep Time:10 mins, Cook Time: 15 mins, Total Time: 25 mins + Cooling and Decoration Time
February 15, 2014
I have to confess to not being a particularly cakey bakey sort of cook or Mum, and when I do it invariably involves some sort of vegetable or fruit. I can’t help myself. Frannie’s even started nagging me of late for an ordinary chocolate or vanilla cake, just anything without my ubiquitous veggies!. So for a very special Valentines treat I made ‘normal’ cake cake pops. Albeit I made two batches, one of a plain sponge mix which we dipped in milk chocolate and the other of carrot cake with white chocolate. Both mixes were based on recipes in the Lékué cake kit and are on their site. Both a great success though the carrot cake pops did turn out in slightly more superior, make that perfect, spheres and were more robust to work with. One for the veggie cakes I say!. It’s the carrot cake recipe that I’m sharing with you today, which I adapted slightly by adding a little more carrot and reducing the sugar (I so can’t help it). I also used only white chocolate to cover the pops but the Lékué recipe used a glaze of white chocolate, cream and butter, which would have better to achieve a smoother finish.
I did embark on the cake pop baking with a certain degree of trepidation as I’d heard cake pops could be a fiddly business and susceptable to failure. Maybe it was a case of beginners luck that all bar a couple out of two whole batches collapsed. Or more likely testament to the quality of Lékué bakeware and recipes. Not only did the kit include the vibrant and fun pink eighteen piece cake mould, but a very handy cake mix dispenser that doubles as an icing kit. Since it’s silicone it’s also a perfect chocolate melting pot and the finer nozzles were ideal to use on the chocolate templates. Which incidentally were also great fun, particularly for the slightly older kids. Both bits of kit were genuinely top class and easy to use. And would make for a really fun kids bake party, certainly something to remember for birthdays and parties of the future!
Carrot, but not much else. It was however a very special Valentines party treat!
Big Kids, Grown Ups, Birthdays, Parties, Fun with Friends, Sleepovers, Special Occasions
A food processor, cake pop moulds, cake pop sticks
Carrot & White Chocolate Cake Pops!
Ingredients Prep Time:10 mins, Cook Time: 15 mins, Total Time: 25 mins + Cooling and Decoration Time
For 18 Carrot Cake Pops:
100g carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
65g soft brown sugar
1 large egg, free range
120g plain flour
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
0. 5 teaspoon ground cinnamon
150g white chocolate
Assorted edible sprinkles!
1) Preheat your oven to 190ºc/170ºc fan/gas mark 5.
2) Melt the butter and add to the processor along with the carrot, soft brown sugar and the egg. Whiz until smooth.
3) Add the flour, baking powder and cinnamon and whiz again until fully blended.
4) Fill the semi-spheres of the cake pop moulds until full to the brim and place on the lid (obviously this will vary as to your cake pop making device or mould).
5) Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until fully risen. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before removing from the mould.
6) Dip the cake pop sticks in a little melted white chocolate (melt in the microwave) and insert into the cake pops for added adhesion!
7) Place the cake pops for 20 minutes in the fridge to fully cool.
8) Melt the remaining white chocolate in the microwave. Spoon over the cooled cake pops and allow to set for a minute or two before decorating with assorted sprinkles!