Chicken & Veggie Noodles
Prep Time:25 mins, Cook Time: 15 mins, Total Time: 40 mins
February 22, 2018
A tasty one-pan stir-fry sizzler that’s packed with flavour and good for you, too. Stir fries are a great way to easily bump up your 5-a-day and are certainly a family favourite here at Eat Your Veg HQ.
Mix and vary your veggies as to what’s in season or you have in and try to eat a rainbow of colours for added nutrition, in fact stir fries are a perfect vessel for introducing children to new or less favoured veg. Other great stir fry veggies other than in the recipe include green beans, mange tout/sugar snap peas, bean sprouts, baby sweetcorn or sweetcorn kernels, courgette, red/white/green cabbage, cauliflower.
If you like a little heat add a sliced chilli with the veggies. Don’t fancy chicken, then use beef or pork strips or prawns instead. Go veggie and leave out the chicken and replace with another veggie or tofu.
This is a great recipe for children to practice knife skills and build oodles of confidence in the kitchen. I’ve made this dish at many after school cook clubs and more recently at my National Lottery funded ‘Healthy Cook Club’ workshops with Growing Local. More information on this super-exciting project can be read about here.
Chicken, Ginger, Carrots, Broccoli, Pepper, Kale, Mushrooms, Spring Onions
Making with Kids, Learning to Cook, Mid Week Dinners, Introducing new Veggies, Family Dinners
A Wok or large Frying Pan
Chicken & Veggie Noodles
Ingredients Prep Time:25 mins, Cook Time: 15 mins, Total Time: 40 mins
To serve a Family of 4:
150g medium egg noodles
2 dessertspoons toasted sesame oil
3 dessertspoons lower salt soy sauce
1 dessertspoon sweet chilli sauce
1 heaped teaspoon Chinese 5 Spice
300g chicken breasts (about 2), preferably free range
1 large thumb sized piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
2 carrots, peeled or scrubbed and cut into fine strips
½ head of broccoli, cut into small florets
1 red pepper, cut into strips
1 handful kale, torn
125g mushrooms, quartered or sliced
2 tablespoons sunflower or vegetable oil
a little water
4 spring onions, sliced into 1 cm pieces
1. Cook the noodles to packet instructions until almost tender, drain and toss in 1 dessertspoon of sesame oil.
2. Meanwhile combine in a bowl 1 dessertspoon of soy sauce, 1 dessertspoon of sweet chilli sauce and 1 heaped teaspoon of Chinese 5 spice.
3. Slice the chicken into fine strips (about 1 cm by 4cm) and then toss in the bowl with the sauces and spice until evenly coated.
4. Grate the ginger. Prepare all the vegetables as per the ingredients list.
5. Heat 1 tablespoon of sunflower or vegetable oil in a wok or a very large frying pan until hot. Add the chicken strips and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, moving around the pan, until cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside in a bowl.
6. Heat another tablespoon of the oil in the same pan and add the ginger, carrots, broccoli, pepper and mushrooms plus a splash of water. Cook for 5 minutes, moving regularly around the pan, add another splash of water if the pan looks dry. Add the spring onions, and cook for 1 more minute.
7. Stir in the set aside chicken strips and noodles and heat through.
8. Stir in the remaining 1 dessertspoon of toasted sesame oil and 2 dessertspoons of soy sauce and serve immediately.