Cream of Veggie Super Soup
Prep Time:5 mins, Cook Time: 25 mins, Total Time: 30 mins
June 12, 2012
Okay I know it’s June and I really shouldn’t be soup-making but it’s been more than a tad cold at Chez Foti lately. It’s certainly not been the gloriously sunshiny south of France I signed up for. Besides my kids’ll happily eat soup any day of the year. In truth I’ve made very few soups recently, my interest wained once the pumpkins finished. But this week the humble veggie soup has been revived and my kids just couldn’t get enough of it!.
Soups are a fab way to get your littlies to eat a copious amount of veggies, you can cunningly throw in all the ones they’re none too keen on and they’ll never know. I sneakily add a little tomato puree to disguise the green veggies. Works every time. Most kids seem particularly partial to tomatoey flavours, as they do to the addition of creamy creme fraiche. I tend to bulk out with carrots as we always have them in and particularly like a little zing of red pepper, but feel free to add absolutely any veggies you have lurking. Everything’s substitutable.
I use Marigold Swiss Vegetable Bouillon (low salt version) for veggie soups which is a particularly flavoursome base. If you’re making soup for babies either use plain water or get hold of some baby stock cubes (available in bigger Boots stores in the UK) which have no added salt.
If you want to make the soup a wee bit more substantial add a handful of cooked pasta shapes and/or top with grated cheese. I serve mine with wholemeal toast ‘dippers’. This recipe makes a pretty thick soup which is easier for little ones to eat, but older kids and grown ups might like to thin it down a little with more stock, water or milk.
Messy pics I know, but this was Jacques’ third bowl and he’d kind of done with eating by the time the camera came out!.
All the veggies you throw in!
Babies 6-9 months, Babies 9-12 months, Toddlers, Pre-Schoolers, Big Kids, The Veggie Adverse,
* To make this suitable for babies make with water or salt-free baby stock cubes (available from Boots or other larger supermarkets or chemists). To make into a more substantial meal add a little cooked pasta and/or top with grated cheese.
A large saucepan, a hand held stick blender or a liquidiser or processor for blending
Cream of Veggie Super Soup
Ingredients Prep Time:5 mins, Cook Time: 25 mins, Total Time: 30 mins
To Make 8 – 10 Small Servings:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
4 carrots, thoroughly scrubbed and sliced (no need to peel)
1 medium potato, scrubbed and diced (no need to peel)
½ a head or broccoli (stem inc), or a handful of green beans or any other green or other veg you have lurking, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 litre vegetable stock, I use Marigold Reduced Salt*
1.5 tablespoons tomato puree
2 tablespoons creme fraiche
1) Heat the oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat. Add the onion and stir. Add the other veggies as you wash and dice them. There’s not too many timing rules here! Stir from time to time so nothing catches
2) Once all the veggies have been added to the pan pour over the hot veggie stock and stir in the tomato puree
3) Bring to a simmer then turn down the heat to low. Cover and allow to bubble away for 15 to 20 minutes until the veggies are all tender
4) Take off the heat and blitz until very smooth in a blender or food processor or with a stick blender. Stir in the creme fraiche