Gruffalo Crumble Muffins!
Prep Time:25 mins, Cook Time: 25 mins, Total Time: 50 mins
February 27, 2018
I promise that no gruffalos are actually harmed in the making of these muffins, just apples or pears, or a delicious mix of both. They’re a particularly moreish munch with a yummy oaty crumble topping. A little healthier than your average muffin being half wholemeal, lower in sugar, using better for you fats (rapeseed oil and natural yogurt) and packed full of fruit. They’ve been my go-to recipe for several Growing Local children’s stalls in the last couple of years, and were first made for the grand opening of the Gruffalo Trail at nearby Queenswood.
The recipe also featured on the 2018 Growing Local Calendar as the September recipe, which is of course when apples and pears are harvested. Though handily both will keep for several months if stored satisfactorily and are usually good for seeing through the winter. Here’s the recipe page, along with gorgeous apple artwork produced by children at our Cook Art Workshops we hosted last Summer.
The Gruffalo rice paper toppers can be bought online, and do make a fun finishing touch if you can source them. This recipe makes 12 large muffins or 24 mini sized ones.
Apples, Pears, Wholemeal Flour, Natural Yogurt, Rapeseed Oil, Sultanas, Oats
Gruffalo Themed Parties, Gruffalo Fans, Baking with Kids, Learning to Bake, Breakfast, Elevenses, Luncboxes, Picnics, After-school Snacks, Puddings
*The Gruffalo rice paper toppers can be bought online, and do make a fun finishing touch if you can source them.
*This recipe makes 12 large muffins or 24 mini sized ones.
Gruffalo Crumble Muffins!
Ingredients Prep Time:25 mins, Cook Time: 25 mins, Total Time: 50 mins
Ingredients for the Crumble Topping:
60g plain or wholemeal flour
50g demerara sugar
Ingredients for the Muffins:
125g plain self-raising flour
125g wholemeal self-raising flour
150g dark soft brown sugar
1 heaped tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 heaped tsp ground cinnamon
2 large free range eggs
125g natural yogurt
60g rapeseed oil
500g apples or pears or a mix of them both (peeled and cored weight)
1. Heat your oven to 200c/180c fan. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with muffin cases or 2 x 12 hole fairy cake tins with cake cases.
2. Start with making the crumble topping. Weigh and place all the crumble ingredients together in a mixing bowl and with your fingertips rub the butter through the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles large breadcrumbs. Set aside.
3. Weigh and sift the muffin dry ingredients together into a mixing bowl: the flours, sugar, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon.
4. In another bowl lightly whisk the eggs then whisk in the measured yogurt and oil. Set aside.
5. Peel and core the apples and pears. Dice into small 1 cm chunks.
6. Pour the egg/yogurt/oil mixture into the flours and combine with a wooden spoon. Stir through the apples, pears and sultanas until everything is mixed well.
7. Spoon the muffin mix into the muffin cases. Then scatter the crumble mix on to the tops.
8. Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes until well risen, golden and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
Delicious eaten a little warm from the oven.