Halloween Blood Soup!
Prep Time:10 mins, Cook Time: 20 mins, Total Time: 30 mins
October 25, 2014
Admittedly whilst they were initially intrigued by the look and name of the soup there wasn’t exactly going to be any actual eating. BUT once I smugly played the ‘pink wee’ card they both got stuck in. Frannie in particular slurped a whole (small) bowl minus any fuss determined to test out my assertion. Jacques managed a few spoons also excited to test me out but gave up shortly afterwards, not quite being able to get over the blood red bedetroot content. Still a fairly reasonable result I’d say. And as for the pink wee, well you’ll have to try for yourselves won’t you!
To accompany the blood I played around with some Halloween cutters and made them a selection of bat, spider and cat cheesy toasts, the essential accompaniment to soup in our house.
I’m entering my Blood Soup to Sykes Cottages ‘Healthy Halloween’ challenge. Thanking you very kindly folks for inviting Eat Your Veg to take part and for sending me a copy of Roald Dahl’s Completely Revolting Recipes book. Packed full of intriguing, fun and sometimes downright disgusting ideas that have provided a good deal of inspiration!. And attracted much interest from The Monsters who’ve only just become acquainted with Roald Dahl stories, and are already firm fans.
Toddlers, Pre-Schoolers, Big Kids, Grown Ups, Halloween, Beetroot Fans or Dissenters, Soup Fanatics, Lunch, Dinner, Bonfire Night
A hand held stick blender, food processor or jug blender
Halloween Blood Soup!
Ingredients Prep Time:10 mins, Cook Time: 20 mins, Total Time: 30 mins
1 tablespoon rapeseed or olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
500g raw beetroot
1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato purée
500ml hot vegetable stock (I use Marigold Reduced Salt)
1) Heat the oil and sauté the onion and garlic for 5 mins in a large saucepan, stirring from time to time.
2) Meanwhile prepare the beetroot by grating or very finely chopping. Or for a quick and mess free option blitz in a food processor.
3) Add the beetroot and chopped tomatoes to the onions and cook for 2 minutes
4) Stir in the tomato purée, hot veggie stock and a pinch of black pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover and leave to cook for 20 minutes or until the beetroot is fully tender.
5) Blitz to a smooth soup with a stick blender straight into the pan or in a food processor or jug blender. Add more stock or water if you want a thinner soup.