Prep Time:5 mins, Cook Time: 10 - 20 mins, Total Time: 15 - 25 mins
March 18, 2014
They went down a treat at school with the Yrs 1 and 2 children too. I made them as part of my Healthy Snacks session looking at alternatives to crisps. I’d say they make an excellent healthy and super-tasty substitution. Cheap too. And obviously one of your five a day if you eat enough.
Parsnips, Rapeseed Oil
Toddlers, Pre-Schoolers, Big Kids, Grown Ups, Snacking, Lunchboxes, Picnics, After-School Snacks, Movie Watching, Nibbles with Drinks
Try with beetroot, sweet potato or carrot too!
2 – 3 large baking trays
Ingredients Prep Time:5 mins, Cook Time: 10 - 20 mins, Total Time: 15 - 25 mins
3 parsnips, peeled
1 tablespoon rapeseed or olive oil
1) Preheat your oven to 160ºc / 140ºc fan / gas mark 6.
2) Using a swivel blade peeler peel off long strips from top to bottom of the parsnips
3) Place all the strips in a large bowl with the oil and a pinch of black pepper. Combine with your hands until the strips all have an even coating.
4) Lay out in a single layer on the baking sheets and place in the oven.
5) Bake for 10 to 20 minutes until a little golden and feeling crispy. Different thicknesses will take varying times to cook so remove baked crisps as you go along. Keep a close eye on the oven as they’re quick to burn.
6) Place in a large bowl and scatter over a small pinch of salt.