Plum, Spelt & Almond Cake
Prep Time:15 mins, Cook Time: 40 mins, Total Time: 55 mins
September 26, 2013
This was a cake I first baked a couple of weeks ago with F&J. Made using plums Grandpa had picked from a local Pick Your Own. My little helpers did all the plum de-stoning and cutting, stirring, whisking, dolloping etc. And Francesca was particularly proficient at the eating. That gal so loves her cake. After spending her first few years generally cake adverse, to the extent I was seriously considering DNA testing, she’s definitely making up for it now.
Another of my spelt flour experiments. And another experiment that’s really paid off. I’ve made it twice since and got the thumbs up by the family at Frannie’s recent birthday weekend. Like my Apple & Blackberry Traybake it’s pretty low in fat, low in sugar (and good sugar at that), exceptionally moist from the use of yoghurt and half a kilo of plums and has a wonderful texture from the almonds and spelt. Added to that it’s super-easy to make and bake and fab to bake with the littlies.
Being another Autumnal cake I’m entering it to our Four Seasons Food challenge, this month themed Sliding into Autumn and hosted by Anneli over at Delicieux. Also to Karen of Lavender and Lovage‘s Tea Time Treats challenge as this month it’s Flapjacks, Oats & Traybakes. To the One Ingredient Challenge since the One Ingredient happens to be Plums this month, co-hosted by Laura at How to Cook Good Food and this month by Nazima over at Franglais Kitchen. A wonderful challenge that I’ve somehow managed to not enter for quite some time, but I’m back ladies! And to Javelin Warrior’s Made with Love Mondays event as it’s a made from scratch cake. And FINALLY to the A Mummy Too‘s Recipe of the Week challenge, for my first ever time!. Oh I do like a challenge.
Spelt Flour, Plums, Almonds, Yoghurt
Toddlers, Pre-Schoolers, Big Kids, Grown Ups, Elevensies with Coffee, Lunchboxes or Picnics, Afternoon Tea, After-School Treats, Puds and Desserts (with lashings of custard/cream/creme fraiche if you dare!), Baking with Kids.
Try varying your fruit, it’s lovely with a mix of a plums and apples or damsons too. If you can’t source, replace the spelt flour with wholemeal.
Makes 16 squares.
1 20cm x 20cm baking or roasting tin lined with baking parchment
Plum, Spelt & Almond Cake
Ingredients Prep Time:15 mins, Cook Time: 40 mins, Total Time: 55 mins
To make 16 squares:
500g plums, washed
150g spelt flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
80g ground almonds
150g soft brown sugar
3 medium eggs, free range
100ml vegetable or sunflower oil
150ml plain yoghurt
1) Pre-heat your oven to 200ºc/180ºc fan/Gas Mark 6
2) De-stone your plums and roughly chop, set aside
3) Sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder together in a bowl, stir in the ground almonds. Set aside
4) Whisk together the sugar and eggs in a large mixing bowl, employ a whisker/little person to do this, whisk in the oil and yoghurt
5) Using a large metal spoon gently mix the flour into the wet mixture. Try not to over-stir.
6) Stir in most of the fruit, leaving a few pieces to scatter
7) Scrape the cake mixture into the prepared lined baking tin, scatter the remaining fruit over the top
8) Place in your hot oven for 40 minutes until golden on top, firm to touch and an inserted cake skewer comes out clean