Roasted Veggie Pasta Bake
Prep Time:40 mins, Cook Time: 20 mins, Total Time: 1 hour
May 13, 2014
To celebrate next week’s National Vegetarian Week I give you my Roasted Veggie Pasta Bake. Although it takes about an hour to make, it’s very quick and simple to prep and the timely part comes from the oven time, not your time. Simply a matter of roughly chopping lots of veggies and roasting them with a little healthy rapeseed oil and plenty of fresh thyme. Once tender they’re mixed around with a tin of cherry tomatoes (a recent discovery of mine!) or fresh if you cannot source, cooked wholewheat pasta, half fat creme fraiche, a little parmesan and a few olives. Slices of Mozzarella and a little more Parmesan on the top and popped back in the oven for it to do it’s magic.
And really that is all. One very tasty midweek or weekend prepped-in-mins tea. And with plenty of healthy credentials too with all those veggies and wholewheat pasta. You don’t have to use wholewheat pasta but I’m a recent all out convert, and my kids don’t seem to notice the difference. If you haven’t tried it recently then you really should, you might be pleasantly surprised. And do vary your veggies as to what you have in or is season. Mushrooms I’m sure would be fabulous, but despite my persistent attempts I can’t get the monsters to like them. Though I know they will one day.
I’m entering my recipe to the Betta Living Vegetarian Recipe Competition, a comp to find the tastiest veggie recipes out there in the blogosphere. There’s a very generous prize plus the chance to be featured on the Betta LIving website.
Onion, Garlic, Red Pepper, Green Pepper, Courgette, Aubergine, Rapeseed Oil, Wholewheat Pasta, Olives, Cherry Tomatoes
Toddlers, Pre-Schoolers, Big Kids, Hiding Veggies, Vegetarians, Family Dinners, Midweek Dinners, Weekend Slowies
Serves 4 – 6, appetites depending. Use whatever veggies you have to hand or are in season. Mushrooms work really well in pasta bakes but my two are none too keen despite my persistent attempts!
A large roasting tray, an oven-proof serving dish
Roasted Veggie Pasta Bake
Ingredients Prep Time:40 mins, Cook Time: 20 mins, Total Time: 1 hour
Serves 4 – 6:
4 cloves garlic, left whole with skins on
1 red pepper
1 green pepper (or orange if you prefer)
2 tablespoons rapeseed or olive oil
3 large sprigs thyme, leaves removed
black pepper & sea salt flakes (I used Maldon Smoked Salt)
200g wholewheat pasta (I use Fusilli)
1 x 400g tin cherry tomatoes or the same weight in fresh
3 tablespoons half fat creme fraiche
70g black or green olives, pitted, optional
40g Parmesan or Grana Padano, grated, vegetarian
1 x 125g ball light Mozzarella, vegetarian
1) Pre-heat your oven to 200ºc/180ºc fan/Gas Mark 6.
2) Chop all the veggies into largish bitesize chunks and place on a large roasting tray with the thyme, oil and a pinch each of black pepper and salt. Get your hands in and ensure everything’s evenly coated. Place the veggies in the hot oven for 30 minutes turning about half the way through. They should be fully tender.
3) Meanwhile cook the pasta to packet instructions, drain and set aside.
4) When the veggies are cooked take out of the oven, but leave the oven on. Squish the garlic flesh from the skin and roughly mash with a fork in the roasting tray. Pour over the tin of cherry tomatoes, creme fraiche, olives, half the Parmesan and a little more black pepper if you wish, followed by the cooked pasta. Give everything a good stir around.
5) Place the pasta and veggies in an oven-proof serving dish. Slice the Mozzarella and place evenly over the top, scatter on the remaining Parmesan.
6) Place back in the oven for a further 20 minutes until golden and bubbling.