Sweet Potato Wedgies
Prep Time:5 mins, Cook Time: 35 - 40 mins, Total Time: 40 - 45 mins
September 24, 2013
Baked potato wedges are a much healthier and less greasy alternative to chips. But made with sweet potatoes they’re also a fabulous nutrient dense addition to your littlie’s diet. In case you haven’t already seen my Glossary then please do bob over to have a read of the health benefits of Sweet Potatoes. Please also do note that my glossary is clearly a ‘work in progress’ with lots and lots of gaps, which I’m planning on filling in over the next few weeks.
Delicately flavoured with a little Sweet Smoked Paprika, these are an exceedingly moorish treat, so make plenty!. I’ve been buying and using La Chinata Spanish smoked paprika for years and can’t rate it on the flavour stakes highly enough. And would you believe it was on my shopping list to buy whilst in the UK to attend Food Blogger Connect in London last July, and a tin just so happened to be in our googie bags!. So I thank you La Chinata for your foresight. And obviously now I’m permanently in the UK I don’t have any trouble getting hold of the magic red powder.
First Finger Food (no salt), Toddlers, Pre-Schoolers, Big Kids, Grown Ups, a healthier alternative to potato chips or wedges, a veggie side
Omit the Sweet Smoked Paprika if it’s not a flavour you or your littlies like. And if you like a big kick then go for Hot Smoked Paprika instead of the Sweet. Serve just as you would potato chips or wedges.
A Roasting Tray
Sweet Potato Wedgies
Ingredients Prep Time:5 mins, Cook Time: 35 - 40 mins, Total Time: 40 - 45 mins
For a Family of Four:
2 – 3 sweet potatoes, scrubbed
1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika, preferably La Chinata
1 tablespoon olive oil
a pinch of salt and pepper (no salt for babies or toddlers)
1) Pre-heat your oven to 200ºC/180ºCfan/Gas 6
2) Cut the potatoes into 2 or 3 thick slices lengthways, then slice each into 3 thick wedges. Each potato should yield between 6 and 9 big wedges.
3) Place the paprika, olive oil and salt and pepper in a large bowl and combine together. Tip in the wedges and ensure they all get an even coating.
4) Place the wedges on a baking tray and slide into your hot oven.
5) Roast for 35 to 40 minutes turning occasionally. They’re ready when golden on the outside and soft on the inside.