Veg Plot Minestrone Soup
Prep Time:20 mins, Cook Time: 35 mins, Total Time: 55 mins
February 1, 2018
A favourite recipe from our primary school Harvest & Cook Workshops at the Growing Local plot. Uber-healthy, uber-tasty and uber-easy to make, this is a great recipe to make with children and get them loving their veggies whilst practicing safe knife skills to boot. We’ve managed a staggeringly healthy twenty two veggies no less at the plot!
Do vary your veggies as to what’s in season or you have in. This soup can be made all year around and taste totally different each time you make by varying your seasonal veg. Go heavier on the roots and sturdy greens in the winter, use peppers, fresh tomatoes, beans, peas and courgettes in the summer. There’s no rules here other than to dice the veggies fairly finely and to a similar size so they cook evenly. Cook root veggies (like parsnips, carrots, swede, turnips, potatoes, sweet potatoes) for longer than greener easier to cook ones (like green beans, cabbage, kale, spinach, courgette, chard, peas etc).
Veg, veg and more veg!
Toddlers, Big Kids, Grown Ups, Learning to Cook, Practicing Safe Knife Skills, Tasting New Veggies, Lunch, Tea, Dinner, Camping, 5-a-day
Try and include as big a variety of veggies as you possibly can!
Eat on it’s own or with grated cheese sprinkled on the top, with or without a big hunk of bread.
A big saucepan or stockpot
Veg Plot Minestrone Soup
Ingredients Prep Time:20 mins, Cook Time: 35 mins, Total Time: 55 mins
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 Onion, finely diced
1 Leek, finely sliced
2 Carrots, finely diced
2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
2 medium Potatoes, finely diced
2 heaped tbsps Tomato Puree
500g fresh or tinned chopped Tomatoes
1 tbsp fresh Rosemary, finely choped
2.5 litres hot Veggie Stock (I use Marigold Lower Salt)
200g French or Runner Beans, finely sliced
200g Cabbage, Kale or any other green leafy veg, finely shredded
1 small Courgette, finely diced
80g Spaghetti, snapped into short lengths
1. Wash and scrub all the veggies. Dice, slice and chop as per the ingredients list.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, leek and carrot and cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
3. Add the garlic and potatoes and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Stir in the tomato puree, chopped tomatoes, rosemary, hot stock and a generous pinch or two of black pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook on a gentle heat for 10 minutes.
5. Tip in the beans, green leafy veggies, courgette and snapped spaghetti. Stir well and cook for a final 15 to 20 minutes, stirring from time to time.
6. The soup is ready when all the veggies are tender.