Easy Peasy Veggie Noodle Stir Fry
Prep Time:10 mins, Cook Time: 5 mins , Total Time: 15 mins
June 23, 2014
I made my veggie noodles with the Key Stage 1 kids at school last week, as part of their World Cup project looking at dishes and ingredients from around the world. My previous sessions have been to Europe for an Italian Tomato & Veggie Pasta Sauce (inarguably not at all authentically Italian but nevertheless healthy and tasty!) and Mexico for some Veggie Quorn Chilli Burritos and Guacaomole (again don’t diss me on authenticity folks!). We started the session looking at all the component veggies and ingredients and getting the kids to identify as many as they could. Then it was a practical with lots of veggie washing, prepping and cutting action, which they all handled brilliantly. You’ll be relieved to know the hot wok action came from me, whilst the kids eagerly watched. And of course we then all got to chow down on our wares and practice chopstick skills, two massive wok fulls all greedily gobbled down. Veggies inc. Result.
Sharing the love, I’m entering my post to a few bloggie challenges:
1) To mine and Anneli’s ‘Four Seasons Food’ challenge, which this month is very kindly being guest hosted by Tina at The Spicy Pear. We have a theme of The Colour Red and as there’s red pepper going on in there I can just about argue a case for my entry!
4) To Elizabeth of Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diaries ‘No Waste Food Challenge‘, also hosted this month by Utterly Scrummy, as I invariably make veggie noodles when there’s a need to use up a whole heap of veggies!
Absolutely everything in there, ’tis a goodie!
Toddlers, Big Kids, Grown Ups, Vegetarians, Getting lots of Veggies in little tums, Quick Family Dinners, Mid-Week Suppers, Clearing the Fridge!
Use whatever veggies you have in, there’s absolutely no rules here!
As a guide try to have a mix of at least 4 or 5 veggies of varying colours of the rainbow: carrots, broccoli, baby sweetcorn, courgettes, mange tout, runner or french beans, red or white cabbage, pak choi, chard, mushrooms and pretty much any other veggie you have to hand!
Cut all the veggies to a similar size so that they cook in the same amount of time.
A wok if you have one, if not a large deep sided frying pan.
Easy Peasy Veggie Noodle Stir Fry
Ingredients Prep Time:10 mins, Cook Time: 5 mins , Total Time: 15 mins
For a Family of Four:
1 tablespoon rapeseed or sunflower oil
1 thumb sized piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
Suggested Veggies: 1 red, orange or yellow pepper, seeds and stalk removed & cut into fine strips. 1 carrot, peeled and diced into fine strips. 1 handful green beans, sliced into strips. 1/2 broccoli head, cut into bitesize florets. 1 small courgette, cut into fine strips
1/2 bunch spring onions, sliced into 1 cm lengths
150g medium egg noodles
1 heaped tablespoon sesame seeds
2 tablespoons reduced salt soy sauce
1 dessertspoon toasted sesame oil, optional
1) Prep all your ingredients before starting, placing the ginger and garlic in one bowl and all the other veggies in another. Make sure all your veggies are diced or sliced to a similar size.
2) Cook the noodles to packet instructions. Once almost tender drain and set aside.
3) Heat the oil in a wok or large deep sided frying pan to a very high temperature.
4) Once hot fry for the ginger and garlic for a few seconds before adding all the veggies in one go.
5) Move the veggies around the wok frequently, either by flipping the wok or using a wooden spoon (depending on how brave you are!). How long you cook them for depends on how crunchy you or your little people like their veggies, which could be anywhere between 2 and 8 minutes. Add a splash of water from time to time if everything’s a little too dry.
6) When your desired level of veggie softness is achieved add the noodles, sesame seeds, soy sauce and sesame oil if using. Using tongs ensure everything’s evenly coated and serve immediately.