Leek & Sweet Potato Soup
Prep Time:15 mins, Cook Time: 20 mins, Total Time: 35 mins
October 4, 2013
I happened to mention I might make a soup earlier in the week and Jacques immediately jumped on my case. Yabbered on to me all day about the prospect and left me with absolutely zero choice but to make the pondered after soup. Considering he’s only three and not had soup for a good six months over the summer it’s funny how he had such a hampering for it. Though part of his hampering I’m sure was to assist in the preparations, he’s obsessed by chopping veggies you see. Has been for ages now. He even has his own special green knife. Actually it’s a ‘lettuce’ knife but it’s blunt enough not cause any harm, but serrated enough to be able to saw through a whole host of veggies. He started with courgettes, cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers. But his proficiency at sawing has let to harder stuff, namely potatoes, carrots and squash.There’s nearly always a pot or two of minutely cut ‘Jacqued’ up veggies in my fridge these days.
Being a little short of soup-like veggies and not wishing to go shopping I/we experimented with a Leek & Sweet Potato Soup. Pretty much exactly how I’d ordinarily make a Leek & Potato Soup but switched the normal spuds for sweet. Unsurprisingly it yielded quite a sweet soup, which was of huge appeal to the little folk who LOVED it (and me too)! I mean devoured it. We all had two bowlfuls each for dinner, served with lashings of cheese on toast on the side. And sweet potatoes being notably more nutritious than ordinary spuds this soup’s brimming with soupy goodness.
Since this is a pretty frugal soup, I’m entering my soupy recipe to Credit Crunch Munch, co-hosted by Camilla of Fab Food 4 All and Helen of Fuss Free Flavours. And this month guest hosted by Michelle of Utterly Scrummy. Also to No Croutons Required, a vegetarian soup and salad challenge co-hosted by Lisa’s Kitchen and this month by Jac of Tinned Tomatoes. It’s a challenge I’ve been meaning to enter for quite some time now and since this month’s theme is smooth blended soups here I am!.
Leeks, Sweet Potatoes, Onion
Babies 6-9 months* & 9-12 months*, Toddlers, Pre-Schoolers, Big Kids, Grown Ups, Family Lunches or Dinners, Making Ahead, Freezing, Making with Kids
*To make it baby-friendly use stock made with baby salt-free stock cubes (available at most major chemists) and a little less liquid so it’s thicker. To make a thinner soup thin down with more stock, milk or water.
A large saucepan, hand held blender/liquidiser or processor
Leek & Sweet Potato Soup
Ingredients Prep Time:15 mins, Cook Time: 20 mins, Total Time: 35 mins
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 very large leek or 2 average, about 300g
2 sweet potatoes, peeled, about 500g
1.2 litres of hot veggie stock (I use Reduced Salt Marigold)
150ml half or full fat creme fraiche
1) Heat the oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat. Dice the onion and throw in
2) Remove the outer layer of the leek and carefully wash to remove any dirt (slice down the middle at the green end and splay back the layers under a running tap). Finely slice and add to the onion. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally so nothing catches
3) Meanwhile peel and dice the sweet potato into 2 to 3 cm chunks. I had my sous chef do this for me.
4) Add the sweet potato to the leeks along with the stock, bring to a simmer
5) Cook for 20 minutes until all the veggies are very tender
6) Remove from the heat and blitz with a hand blender. Or place in a liquidiser or processor
7) Stir in the creme fraiche, season with black pepper